Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding Development ICYSL:
1. Does my child need cleats or shinguards? Yes. These are mandatory for safety reasons. Please note that we do have a soccer cleat exchange (bring a used pair and trade for a larger pair, where available) to help out parents.
2. How many practices are there? There are usually two (2) practices per week. The first practice is with our professional trainers during the week at Spencer Rockman. Trainings are either 6-7:30 or 7:30-9pm. The second practice is a coach run practice. Your team coach will advise you of time & location for each.
3. Where are practices held? Trainer led practices are held OUTDOORS at Spencer Rockman Soccer Complex located at 1 Clif Prescod Lane, Edison, NJ (across from DMV on Kilmer Rd.). Coach led practices are usually held at one of the elementary or middle schools in Edison.
4. What is a practice uniform? You are expected to wear your Practice Jersey (Phoenix on front, either Blue or Red provided by the Club), black shorts, socks & shinguards. Color of the day is noted on the calendar for trainer led practices. For coaches practice, follow your coaches request.
5. What is the schedule for a specific age group? Please check your TeamSnap account for your schedules.
6. Can we pick a team that works better for our schedule availability? No, every team is put together based on birth years and player ability.
7. Is there guaranteed playing time? No. This is a development league and we do try to ensure that everyone gets adequate playing time. However, playing time will depend on your child's attendance at practices and their effort given in a game. Playing time is a cumulative approach over the entire season vs. a game to game time management process.
8. Can we register in person? No, all registration is done online via our registration system.
9. Are there any practices during the week? Yes. See answers to question 2.
10. How far do I have to travel? Most of the games are within a 30-45 minute traveling radius. A season typically consists of 8-10 games. Half are played "home" in Edison and the other half are played "away" at the opponent location.
11. Where are the games played? A season typically consists of 8-10 games. Half are played "home" in Edison at Thomas Edison Park and the other half are played "away" at the opponent location.
12. Are there makeups if it rains or is cold? No, all classes are as scheduled. Unless the fields are unsafe, we will have class. If it's cold, we highly recommend that you have your child wear a sweatshirt under their training shirt.
13. Are there makeups if I miss a class due to scheduling conflicts? No.
14. Do I need to buy any other equipment? Yes, a proper soccer ball based on their age group. U9-U12 divisions utilize a #4 soccer ball and U13 and above utilize #5 soccer ball. Also, black shorts for practices.
15. Can my child wear jewelry during practices & games? No. All jewelry, necklaces, earrings, bracelets, etc must be taken off prior to play as per the Laws of the Game. Your child will not be allowed to play if they are wearing jewelry.
16. Can my child wear glasses? No. NJ state law requires that youth players must wear protetive safety goggles in order to play. Referees will enforce the law.
17. Do I have to wear the uniform you gave us? Yes. If your child is not properly attired, they will not be allowed to practice or play. Properly attired means: uniform shirt, uniform shorts & uniform socks with soccer cleats and shinguards. The uniform is verification that they are a registered/paid player for the season. If it is cold, you are more than welcome to place a sweatshirt/sweatpants underneath their uniform. No hoodies are allowed for safety reasons.
18. Can I exchange the uniform for a different size as I ordered the wrong one? Yes, however there is an exchange fee of $50 to cover the uniform and shipping/handling.
19. When does the season start? Start dates are normally posted on our website and on our registration information. The fall season typically starts the first Saturday after Labor Day. The spring season typically starts the first Saturday in April or last Saturday in March depending on weather.
20. How do I know what team I'm on? You will be sent an email confirmation with your team typically two - three weeks prior to the start of the season. Please check your email and spam folders. You can also log back into your household account and check your order which will list your child's team.
21. Where do we pick up the uniform? A parents meeting is typically scheduled the weekend prior to Labor Day. If you miss this meeting, you will pick up your uniform at the first practice schedule.
22. What if I never received an email with my team and missed the parent's meeting? Contact your coach.
23. Can't you just respond to my individual emails about any of my questions that are listed here? No. We have over 1,000 kids playing soccer every season and we are run by all volunteers. Please take the time to be familliar with our website and utilize the information found here.
24. What is your refund policy? Please refer to our Refund Policy under FORMS on our main website.
25. Why am I not getting any emails from you? There are 3 possible reasons why you are not receiving emails:
- Our emails are going to a different email account that you used to set up your household. Please go back into your household account and verify the correct email that you used.
- Your email settings are seeing our emails as possible spam. Check your spam filter and whitelist firstname.lastname@example.org . You can Google this process if you need help.
- You OPTED OUT of receiving our emails and therefore unsubscribed to all future emails. To OPT BACK IN, please follow instructions here.